Sharon E. Crane, Ph.D.
Sharon E. Crane, Ph.D.’s practice specializes in
Dr. Crane has substantial experience in preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the biotechnology and chemical arts for clients ranging from independent inventors to multinational biotech companies. She devotes a significant percentage of her time to patent interferences,
Recently, Dr. Crane assisted client 454 Life Sciences, now a part of Roche Molecular Diagnostics, in a complete and total victory over Johns Hopkins in a district court appeal of an interference decision that awarded priority to 454 Life Sciences. Dr. Crane and colleagues also represented 454 Life Sciences in the underlying interference. The interference involved a single count and the interfering subject matter related to the 454 sequencer, namely claims directed to methods for analyzing nucleic acid sequences comprising the use of aqueous microreactors in a water-in-oil emulsion, where a plurality of microreactors each contain a single DNA fragment molecule, a single bead capable of hybridizing to the DNA fragment, and reagents to perform DNA amplification. The 454 sequencer was an important technological advance released in 2005.
Dr. Crane received a B.A. in behavioral biology from Johns Hopkins University, where she researched learning and memory. Dr. Crane’s graduate training was in the Neuroscience Training Program at the University of Virginia and in the Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology Program at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where she received her Ph.D. in molecular biology and genetics and focused on the study of lentiviruses. She received her J.D. from The George Washington University Law School.
Dr. Crane is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA) Intellectual Property Law Section, a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) USPTO Inter Partes Patent Proceedings and Biotechnology committees, and a member of Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI) CET Group 5-Technology-Related Patent Issues.
- Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. v. Viacyte, Inc.
- Cellectis S.A. v. Precision Biosciences Inc. et al
- Precision Biosciences Inc. et al v. Cellectics S.A.
- IPR2014-00337 – Represented The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University as Patent Owner in an IPR proceeding filed by Sequenom over patent 8195415, noninvasive diagnosis of fetal aneuploidy by sequencing. All claims were denied institution.
- IPR2013-00390 – Represented The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University as Patent Owner in an IPR proceeding filed by Sequenom over patent 8195415, noninvasive diagnosis of fetal aneuploidy by sequencing.
- IPR2014-00160 – Represented Endo Pharmaceuticals as Patent Owner in an IPR proceeding filed by Amneal Pharmaceuticals over patent 7851482,
methodfor making analgesics.
- IPR2013-00308 – Represented The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University as Patent Owner in an IPR proceeding filed by Ariosa Diagnostics over patent 8296076, noninvasive diagnosis of fetal aneuploidy by sequencing.
- IPR2016-00577 – Represented Finchimica S.p.A. as Patent Owner in an IPR proceeding filed by Adama Americas, Adama Makhteshim, Makteshim Agan of North America, ADAMA Agricultural Solutions, and Control Solutions over patent 8304559,
methodfor the synthesis of 5-amino-1-phenyl-3-cyano-4-trifluoromethyl sulfinyl.
- PGR2017-00020 – Represent Myriad Genetics, Oyster Point Blvd., and Crescendo Biosciences as Petitioners in a PGR proceeding against L. Douglas Grama over patent 9387246, treatment for methods for rheumatoid arthritis.
Areas of Concentration
Publications & Presentations
Panelist, “Subject Matter Eligibility in the U.S.” for the panel “Is there a Coordinated Move in B+ and Elsewhere?”, Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI) World Congress, June 6, 2018 (Toronto, Canada)
Author, "USA Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Decision Concerning
Author, “The University of Rochester Overreaches,” outs & ins, vol. 4, no. 2, 2004
Co-author, “Degeneracy in the Legal Code: Can the PTO and the Federal Circuit Reach a Consensus Regarding Patenting Biotech Inventions?,” 4 The Journal of Biolaw and Business 39-42, 2000
Co-author, “Identification of the Transmembrane Fusion Domain in the Visna Virus Envelope,” 185 Virology 488-492, 1992
Co-author, “Identification of Cell Membrane Proteins that Bind Visna Virus,” 65 J. of Virology 6137-6143, 1991
Co-author, “Epitopes Responsible for Fusion and Virus Neutralization in the Glycoprotein of Ovine and Caprine Lentiviruses: A Challenge for Vaccine Development,” AIDS Vaccine: Basic Research and Clinical Trials. Putney, S.D. and D. P. Bolognesi (Eds.). Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 319-338, 1990
Co-author, “Fusion and Neutralization Sites on Visna Virus are Separate Epitopes,” Cell Biology of Virus Entry, Replication
Co-author, “Lentiviruses of Animals are Biological Models of the Human Immunodeficiency Viruses,” 5 Microbial Pathogenesis 149-157, 1988
Co-author, “Separate Epitopes in the Envelope of Visna Virus are Responsible for Fusion and Neutralization: Biological Implications for Anti-fusion Antibodies in Limiting Virus Replication,” 62 J. of Virology 2680-2685, 1987
Co-author, “Identification of Chromaffin Granule-Binding Proteins. Relationship of the Chromobindins to Calelectrin, Synhibin, and the Tyrosine Kinase” Substrates p35 and p36, 262 The Journal of Biological Chemistry 1860-1868, 1987
Co-author, “Mnemonic Correlates of Unit Activity in the Hippocampus,” 399 Brain Res. 97-110, 1986
Co-author, “An Electrophysiological Method for Examining the Effects of Potential Therapeutic Agents on Memory Function,” 444 Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 494-495, 1985
Professional Affiliations, Honors & Recognition
Selected to the Washington, DC Super Lawyers list (2018)
American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
American Bar Association, Post Grant and Inter Partes Subcommittee
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Biotechnology Committee
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Inter Partes Patent Proceedings Committee
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Women in IP Law Committee
Federal Circuit Bar Association
Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle, CET Group 5-Biotechnology
Intellectual Property Owners Association
International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property
Maryland Patent Law Association
President 2001-2003; Vice President 1999-2001; Treasurer 1996-1999
New York Intellectual Property Law Association
U.S. Bar - EPO Liaison Council